At Bushido Hombu we offer over 30 years of knowledge and experience in Karate. Memberships are available for clubs, instructors, and individuals…
- What we do and how we do it
- What is karate?
- What is BFS?
- Who are the instructors?
- What we have done?
- Our Association
- Our Syllabus
- Our Child Protection Policy
- Statement of equality
- Our Free Self Defence
- Corporate Events and Sessions
We hold sessions in several areas in and around St Albans. Whether you are looking for a club at your local school, or conveniently situated at your leisure centre so that you can enjoy a class or swim while your child trains with us, we hope that one of our sessions will fit your needs.
If you own/run a venue that would be interested in hosting a course or working with us to bring a class to another area by renting your space, please contact us to discuss.
There are a number of questions to be considered before taking the step of joining a martial arts club. We aim to make everything as simple and transparent as possible.
- What class is right for you?
- What you need to bring/wear?
- How much does it cost?
- What equipment will you need to buy?
- What will you learn?
- Grading examinations, belts and competitions?
- Other Frequently Asked Questions
- Club information pack
If the above all lives up to what you wanted and you would like to attend a session, please print and complete the following forms and come along with them.
To enable the club to run as efficiently as possible we make all of the documents that you might need nice and easy to find, so all you need to do is select the document you need, download it then print it out… simples!!
Please select from the below to find the items you need.
- Membership Forms
- Application to grade
- Syllabi and grading assistance
- Dojo etiquette, rules and requirements
- Code of conduct for spectators
- Club information pack
An important part of the study of karate is access to the right information. The below links will provide you with everything that you need up to Brown Belt.
- Club information pack
- Expectations and Commitment
- Recommended reading list
- Dojo Kun
- 20 Precepts or Ni-ju Kun
- How to tie your belt
- Instructor Training Programme
- Assistant Instructor Training Programme
There is very little equipment required for the practice of karate, so long as you have your body and some space to move then you can practice something. There are of course some items that are required in terms of being part of the club or for safety purposes, and other items that you may wish to own. We can recommend suppliers, but can usually source items more cheaply for you (the only items we will not supply are practice weapons, which we can give you the correct suppliers for).
- Recommended equipment list
- Full price list
- Club book
- Protective equipment
- Fitness equipment
- Bags and miscellaneous
- Great family friendly club, that teaches you the right way. Not for profit which means its run for the love of Karate and not as a money making scheme.......very refreshing. Kevin strikes the right balance between making training fun, learning the martial arts and discipline. All the right ingredients to make for a fantastic club.Adrian V
- I have known Kevin Archibald for nearly 20 years now and I would say he is a balanced, intelligent and well rounded Karate practitioner and Teacher. He has solid roots in a well respected Karate background going back to his Childhood. In 1996 I trained extensively with Kevin in Luton, at the Japan Karate Association United Kingdom. At this time he was a Black Belt Instructor, with his own club teaching Shotokan Karate. Kevin is very knowledgeable in his Karate and very patient and understanding as an Instructor with a ‘more than capable’ set of physical attributes to match. He is of a trustworthy and honourable character and is well respected in his community and amongst his Seniors and Peers. He continues to selflessly pursue his love for Martial Arts, sharing without a second thought the knowledge that he has gained over many, many years. At every opportunity he offers help to others including myself and it is with great pride that I write this reference. As 5th Dan Karate Instructor and International Director of a well respected Karate Organisation I have no hesitation in recommending Kevin Archibald for a high level of accreditation.Ashley H
- My son joined the club as he had suffered enormously with bullying at his school, and we wanted him to rebuild his confidence and feel he could move forward to control his own situation. We looked at many different clubs and activities including boxing, judo and karate. Eventually and after much research we settled on bushido hombu. We did this primarily as the instructors Kevin, Karly and Richard run several different classes and seem to focus far more on the needs of the pupils and that pupils own strengths rather an entirely prescriptive teaching of technique with no flexibility to build up a practical application. We found each individual class has its own atmosphere/ethos so you should easily find class that suits your own learning preference if you would like to try the club. Extra seminars are run each month covering a variety of topics, this helps keep your motivation going as you'll cover things you've never done before from age related general self defence, bo staff training, through to Krav Maga. After 14 months my son is due to grade to achieve his green belt, but more importantly, he is happier and feeling more positive. Because of this I decided like many of the parents rather than just sitting there and waiting for the class to end I have joined the club, and signed up the two younger brothers (four of us in total....poor kevin).Adam G
- I have been very pleased at how Kevin and his team of instructors allow and encourage members to progress at their pace. This club is not focused on how quickly you can progress through belts, the focus is on mastering and maintaining good skills. There is a balance of fun, fitness and karate in the family sessions which helps keep younger members engaged. I have used the club to develop focus and self discipline in my children. Despite my reservations about allowing my children to participate in a martial art as I'm very much a pacifist I am pleased they are members of this particular club and have recommended it to others on a number of occasions.Catherine G
- Our family has been receiving karate training under Kevin for just over a year, in Bushido Hombu's 'family' class. In addition to this Chris (dad) and Emily (daughter) have participated in other classes and seminars ouside of the 'family' class. Bushido Hombu is a very professional outfit and is very well organised and run. The focus is always on quality tuition and training, and we have never felt that Kevin is running the school as a business. We have really enjoyed our participation in the club and plan to continue our training under Kevin. 12 months ago none of us would ever have thought that karate would offer us so much - physical fitness; strength training; increased balance and flexibility; self discipline and meeting some really fantastic people. The classes are also very inclusive and eveyone's training needs are taken into consideration. We would have no hesitation in recommending Kevin, his associated instructors or Bushido Hombu as a whole.Chris B
- Kevin provides Karate instruction suited to his pupils, providing a positive learning environment and without restricting the class to dogma. Kevin sets a high standard and applies these fairly. He always offers helpful advice and real opportunities to learn by attending extra classes and seminars for example. Kevin leads by example, raising the level of his students appropriately.Stephen P
- Kevin is a highly dedicated Sensei who strives to deliver the best and safest training in all his classes. His approach is to help every person who trains to achieve their goals and instil a confidence in them to be the best they can be. Throughout all the levels from Children's classes to adults, Kevin always held safety in high esteem and with that he imparts the same discipline in all his students. I trained with Kevin for approximately two years and he respected my black belt status which I achieved at a previous club. Through Kevin's extensive knowledge and helpful training he helped me achieve a greater understanding and discipline in my Karate which also has a positive impact upon my life outside of karate.Paul F
- I have been training with Bushido Hombu under Kevin Archibald for 11 years, coming from a traditional Shotokan background. Since joining the association my training has improved no end, Kevin has opened my eyes to a whole new mind set to the way I train and the potential I can attain. The training is tailored to the individual student and not a one rule for all which cannot work as everyone has different abilities and limitations. The training and grading systems are very professional and turn out a high standard of students that out class similar grades in other clubs I have trained in over the years. A very safe, family friendly and social club with a pleasant atmosphere to train in. In closing a great club and instructor I a proud and honoured to be a part of.Joe P
- Bushido-Hombu is the ideal club for us as a family with children moving up through primary school. The friendly and professional ethos is spot on and evolving to grow the emphasis on commitment and discipline as the club grows and as we move up the ranks. I find the mix of members ideal, with a good proportion of unfettered youth as well as families with their usual commitments. The introduction of sparring will be interesting and fun, adding that bit of free movement and fun and a few bruises of course! After two and a half years we are very happy with our choice of this club. The challenge is ratcheting up now as we move into the more senior belts....Andreea P
- I have been with the club for 2 years and I have learnt so much. There is a great friendly atmosphere in the classes. The lessons are fun and energetic, content is varied from working on syllabus to improving specific techniques. I think Kevin is an excellent instructor - he is very passionate and full of wisdom about Karate - he always notices when a stance is incorrect and helps his students - he is patient and friendly. The Club is run in a very safe and controlled way, Kevin is very strict about following instructions to the letter and will not ask anyone to perform any action unless he feels it is safe to to do. I am very glad I joined this Club and would highly recommend it to anyone.Nikki A
- Kevin is a great teacher, his knowledge and professionalism is second to none. The classes are well structured and all material is easily digestible.I have learnt much under his instruction.Michael B
- I have been training weekly with Kevin on a one-to-one basis for around two-and-a-half years. The nature of private sessions means that I enjoy an extremely tailored approach to learning karate, and allows a more in-depth exploration of the theory and application of techniques that might otherwise be impossible in a class setting. Access to weekly classes and the excellent monthly seminars also means that I have valuable interaction with other Bushido students. I have always been struck by the dedication to, and passion for, karate that Kevin exhibits, and in turn infuses the Association's members with. Kevin's approach to teaching is both supportive and challenging, and my confidence and self-esteem - as well as my fitness - have improved immeasurably during my training.Jennifer B
- I have been a Bushido member for approximately one and a half years and find the club absolutely amazing! Very fresh and functional approach to a traditional Japanese martial art. Highly qualified Instructors who always teach to high standards with amazing enthusiasm. Even with rising amount of members safety is and always was a number one priority. Since joining I have rapidly increased my fitness and learnt much about self defence that is of great use in my job.Martin S
- Teaching takes place in a relaxed but controlled environment where all students can train safely and develop their confidence, technique and fitness. Sensei Kevin puts the development and needs of every member of the club first, he is always supporting members in every aspect of their training and goes out of his way to encourage additional learning and development for all of his students. There are always additional learning opportunities for every level of member including discussion sessions, training courses and monthly seminars. Kevin utilises a dynamic teaching style which looks to modify and adapt techniques for individuals to ensure they work regardless of ability, age or fitness levels whilst ensuring they stay within the framework of Karate. He always explains techniques thoroughly and encourages discussion. Having trained at Bushido Hombu for over 7 years, I can wholeheartedly endorse, the Bushido Hombu Association, Bushido Hombu club and Sensei Kevin, I believe there is no better training environment for anyone who wants to begin to learn karate, continue their current training or return after a period of time away from training.David H
- I've been training under Kevin Archibald since November 2012. I'm very pleased that for my path to learning karate I found and joined this club. It's a great opportunity to learn from the best. Kevin is very friendly to all his students and colleagues but at the same time radiates authority especially through being respectful to everyone and his display of top form and skill. He treats everyone as equal and equally and promotes the same behaviour in his students. He is a great motivator, his enthusiasm for martial arts inspires children as well as adults. Kevin leads his students towards perfection, not only physical fitness and form but also perfection of mind and character. During the classes and the invaluable Self-defence seminars Kevin follows very strict health and safety rules, maintaining an injury free dojo environment. I'm looking forward to seeing all his plans and visions involving the spreading of popularity of karate, promoting fitness and giving youth an amazing opportunity to train and choose a healthy lifestyle coming to life and I hope to be part of them.Ross S
- I have known and trained with Mr. Kevin Archibald for around 5 years. He is a pleasure to know and train with. I find his teaching skills to be of a very high and unique standard. Kevin's knowledge is of extremely high quality and he runs classes to suit ability and convenience for e.g family classes, advanced classes as well as in depth seminars. I train in his advanced class every Monday and I find it to be interesting every session, I always learn something new and find his training environment to be none other than safe. Kevin is very knowledgable and most importantly understand each and every one of his students and he makes time for everyone. In my opinion, Kevin is a great instructor and has become a great friend.Molly W
- I trained with Kevin Archibald for almost two years and Monday nights were always a highlight of my week. I loved the mixture between Katas and self-defence in the class and that Kevin always included everybody in the course, listening to what each individual wanted to get out of the class. I was especially impressed how Kevin constantly tried to improve the training based on new knowledge he had taught himself or learned in other courses. Being a physiotherapist I can say that Kevin’s knowledge about the body and how to train it combined with the huge background about Karate was a perfect base for the class. Kevin never only taught movements he also transported the spirit of what Karate is about. Thanks for the time, I am still searching for a class here in Germany that is as good as Bushido Hombu - I have tried three by now. Still haven't found the right one.Anke W
- I am a father of 2 children (Lucy-May and Bradley Coombs) training at Kevin Archibald's Bushido Karate session on a Monday afternoon/evening and I am amazed how well they are doing and how quick that they have picked up on there moves and there concentration, I am sure its not just the Karate sessions and more to do with the entertainment from the trainers and the patients that they have with the children. I always drop the children off and sit within the sessions with them while they do there thing and I never feel worried and stressed for the kids as they enjoy it so much and the health and safety aspect seems one of there main interests within the sessions. They are never asked to do something they cant do or don't feel comfortable doing and more to the point is that they are not scared of the trainers and have a very good relationship with them which I think helps amazingly with there confidant's to learn quicker. I would most definitely recommend this club and the trainers who run with/under Kevin. Many thanks to all at BushidoAndrew C
- Kevin Archibald is a rare and exceptional instructor; his martial arts knowledge and competence are phenomenal and he produces students of the highest calibre. Throughout my time training with Kevin, I have been supported far beyond what I would expect of any ordinary club, being given the opportunity to excel through the instructor training program. Having been given, through this program, an insight into the administration and running of the club, I can attest that Kevin scrupulously ensures the safety of every student whether it be by continuously ensuring instructors are up to date on first aid qualifications, or through the creation of the child protection policy. As for the in-class experience, lessons are engaging, fun and, most importantly, different. Kevin does not prescribe to the endless repetition of traditional techniques that many associate with karate but instead finds new and inventive ways to teach the syllabus. The results are students who have a better understanding and physical ability than those trained elsewhere, but who have thoroughly enjoyed the process of getting there. This is the direction karate needs to go in - something the rest of the karate community is starting to realise - though Kevin has already been saying for nearly 20 years.Richard T-N