Chief Instructor – Kevin began training in Karate aged five. Having suffered with severe asthma from birth with regular time off school and having low confidence, Kevin’s parents took the advice of a good friend and took him along to the local class. As he trained his health, confidence and physique all improved, which his family put down to the body conditioning from the Karate training.
By the age of 13, the symptoms of Kevin’s asthma had all but disappeared and he was ready to take his first dan black belt. This was taken along-side adults in front of the examination panel of Bukonkai Karate International, Kevin passed on his first attempt. As Kevin’s experience grew, he attended many courses and tournaments and began supporting his instructor in the running of the club and teaching the juniors.
When Kevin’s instructor sadly ceased his karate training to pursue other interests, Kevin (aged 18) took over the remaining students and began his teaching career. Soon afterwards, Bushido joined the JKA (UK) where Kevin retook his Shodan grading to achieve JKA recognition.
Since leaving the JKA in 2000 (just before the big split within Japanese Shotokan), Kevin has had mixed training under several Multi Martial Art Associations. This has enabled him to begin mixing training styles and assess what techniques, stances and styles best fit his students on an individual basis. It was in this period that the Bushido Fitness and Self-defence system came into being. BFS is and always will be a work-in-progress as it is ever developing with every new student that comes along.
As of December 2013 Kevin has also been made an Honoury Member of ICCS Krav Maga, others with this honour include the founder of Israeli Krav (Moshe Katz) and the Founder of the First Response Counter Terrorism Teams. Kevin was also certified as a Level 1 ICCS Assistant Instructor in April 2014, which enables him to officially teach Krav Maga in the UK.
Kevin is working closely with Pilates/Yoga instructors, Krav Maga instructors and other Karate Sensei to get the most from martial arts; always looking to perfect the art of Karate and develop interesting, fun and effective training for BFS. He is passionate about martial arts and fitness and is intent upon increasing public safety through his teaching.
Kevin is a fully insured and DBS (the new CRB) checked CoachMark registered instructor who teaches because he believes it is his duty to pass on what he has learned. The club is here to help people and not to make money, we are a group of friends from the youngest 5 year old white belts to the oldest 66 year olds and black belts.
- I am a father of 2 children (Lucy-May and Bradley Coombs) training at Kevin Archibald's Bushido Karate session on a Monday afternoon/evening and I am amazed how well they are doing and how quick that they have picked up on there moves and there concentration, I am sure its not just the Karate sessions and more to do with the entertainment from the trainers and the patients that they have with the children. I always drop the children off and sit within the sessions with them while they do there thing and I never feel worried and stressed for the kids as they enjoy it so much and the health and safety aspect seems one of there main interests within the sessions. They are never asked to do something they cant do or don't feel comfortable doing and more to the point is that they are not scared of the trainers and have a very good relationship with them which I think helps amazingly with there confidant's to learn quicker. I would most definitely recommend this club and the trainers who run with/under Kevin. Many thanks to all at BushidoAndrew C
- Kevin Archibald is a rare and exceptional instructor; his martial arts knowledge and competence are phenomenal and he produces students of the highest calibre. Throughout my time training with Kevin, I have been supported far beyond what I would expect of any ordinary club, being given the opportunity to excel through the instructor training program. Having been given, through this program, an insight into the administration and running of the club, I can attest that Kevin scrupulously ensures the safety of every student whether it be by continuously ensuring instructors are up to date on first aid qualifications, or through the creation of the child protection policy. As for the in-class experience, lessons are engaging, fun and, most importantly, different. Kevin does not prescribe to the endless repetition of traditional techniques that many associate with karate but instead finds new and inventive ways to teach the syllabus. The results are students who have a better understanding and physical ability than those trained elsewhere, but who have thoroughly enjoyed the process of getting there. This is the direction karate needs to go in - something the rest of the karate community is starting to realise - though Kevin has already been saying for nearly 20 years.Richard T-N
- Kevin is a highly dedicated Sensei who strives to deliver the best and safest training in all his classes. His approach is to help every person who trains to achieve their goals and instil a confidence in them to be the best they can be. Throughout all the levels from Children's classes to adults, Kevin always held safety in high esteem and with that he imparts the same discipline in all his students. I trained with Kevin for approximately two years and he respected my black belt status which I achieved at a previous club. Through Kevin's extensive knowledge and helpful training he helped me achieve a greater understanding and discipline in my Karate which also has a positive impact upon my life outside of karate.Paul F
- I have been with the club for 2 years and I have learnt so much. There is a great friendly atmosphere in the classes. The lessons are fun and energetic, content is varied from working on syllabus to improving specific techniques. I think Kevin is an excellent instructor - he is very passionate and full of wisdom about Karate - he always notices when a stance is incorrect and helps his students - he is patient and friendly. The Club is run in a very safe and controlled way, Kevin is very strict about following instructions to the letter and will not ask anyone to perform any action unless he feels it is safe to to do. I am very glad I joined this Club and would highly recommend it to anyone.Nikki A
- I have been very pleased at how Kevin and his team of instructors allow and encourage members to progress at their pace. This club is not focused on how quickly you can progress through belts, the focus is on mastering and maintaining good skills. There is a balance of fun, fitness and karate in the family sessions which helps keep younger members engaged. I have used the club to develop focus and self discipline in my children. Despite my reservations about allowing my children to participate in a martial art as I'm very much a pacifist I am pleased they are members of this particular club and have recommended it to others on a number of occasions.Catherine G
- I have known Kevin Archibald for nearly 20 years now and I would say he is a balanced, intelligent and well rounded Karate practitioner and Teacher. He has solid roots in a well respected Karate background going back to his Childhood. In 1996 I trained extensively with Kevin in Luton, at the Japan Karate Association United Kingdom. At this time he was a Black Belt Instructor, with his own club teaching Shotokan Karate. Kevin is very knowledgeable in his Karate and very patient and understanding as an Instructor with a ‘more than capable’ set of physical attributes to match. He is of a trustworthy and honourable character and is well respected in his community and amongst his Seniors and Peers. He continues to selflessly pursue his love for Martial Arts, sharing without a second thought the knowledge that he has gained over many, many years. At every opportunity he offers help to others including myself and it is with great pride that I write this reference. As 5th Dan Karate Instructor and International Director of a well respected Karate Organisation I have no hesitation in recommending Kevin Archibald for a high level of accreditation.Ashley H