Chief Instructor – Kevin began training in Karate aged five. Having suffered with severe asthma from birth with regular time off school and having low confidence, Kevin’s parents took the advice of a good friend and took him along to the local class. As he trained his health, confidence and physique all improved, which his family put down to the body conditioning from the Karate training.
By the age of 13, the symptoms of Kevin’s asthma had all but disappeared and he was ready to take his first dan black belt. This was taken along-side adults in front of the examination panel of Bukonkai Karate International, Kevin passed on his first attempt. As Kevin’s experience grew, he attended many courses and tournaments and began supporting his instructor in the running of the club and teaching the juniors.
When Kevin’s instructor sadly ceased his karate training to pursue other interests, Kevin (aged 18) took over the remaining students and began his teaching career. Soon afterwards, Bushido joined the JKA (UK) where Kevin retook his Shodan grading to achieve JKA recognition.
Since leaving the JKA in 2000 (just before the big split within Japanese Shotokan), Kevin has had mixed training under several Multi Martial Art Associations. This has enabled him to begin mixing training styles and assess what techniques, stances and styles best fit his students on an individual basis. It was in this period that the Bushido Fitness and Self-defence system came into being. BFS is and always will be a work-in-progress as it is ever developing with every new student that comes along.
As of December 2013 Kevin has also been made an Honoury Member of ICCS Krav Maga, others with this honour include the founder of Israeli Krav (Moshe Katz) and the Founder of the First Response Counter Terrorism Teams. Kevin was also certified as a Level 1 ICCS Assistant Instructor in April 2014, which enables him to officially teach Krav Maga in the UK.
Kevin is working closely with Pilates/Yoga instructors, Krav Maga instructors and other Karate Sensei to get the most from martial arts; always looking to perfect the art of Karate and develop interesting, fun and effective training for BFS. He is passionate about martial arts and fitness and is intent upon increasing public safety through his teaching.
Kevin is a fully insured and DBS (the new CRB) checked CoachMark registered instructor who teaches because he believes it is his duty to pass on what he has learned. The club is here to help people and not to make money, we are a group of friends from the youngest 5 year old white belts to the oldest 66 year olds and black belts.
- I trained with Kevin Archibald for almost two years and Monday nights were always a highlight of my week. I loved the mixture between Katas and self-defence in the class and that Kevin always included everybody in the course, listening to what each individual wanted to get out of the class. I was especially impressed how Kevin constantly tried to improve the training based on new knowledge he had taught himself or learned in other courses. Being a physiotherapist I can say that Kevin’s knowledge about the body and how to train it combined with the huge background about Karate was a perfect base for the class. Kevin never only taught movements he also transported the spirit of what Karate is about. Thanks for the time, I am still searching for a class here in Germany that is as good as Bushido Hombu - I have tried three by now. Still haven't found the right one.Anke W
- I have been very pleased at how Kevin and his team of instructors allow and encourage members to progress at their pace. This club is not focused on how quickly you can progress through belts, the focus is on mastering and maintaining good skills. There is a balance of fun, fitness and karate in the family sessions which helps keep younger members engaged. I have used the club to develop focus and self discipline in my children. Despite my reservations about allowing my children to participate in a martial art as I'm very much a pacifist I am pleased they are members of this particular club and have recommended it to others on a number of occasions.Catherine G
- Teaching takes place in a relaxed but controlled environment where all students can train safely and develop their confidence, technique and fitness. Sensei Kevin puts the development and needs of every member of the club first, he is always supporting members in every aspect of their training and goes out of his way to encourage additional learning and development for all of his students. There are always additional learning opportunities for every level of member including discussion sessions, training courses and monthly seminars. Kevin utilises a dynamic teaching style which looks to modify and adapt techniques for individuals to ensure they work regardless of ability, age or fitness levels whilst ensuring they stay within the framework of Karate. He always explains techniques thoroughly and encourages discussion. Having trained at Bushido Hombu for over 7 years, I can wholeheartedly endorse, the Bushido Hombu Association, Bushido Hombu club and Sensei Kevin, I believe there is no better training environment for anyone who wants to begin to learn karate, continue their current training or return after a period of time away from training.David H
- Our family has been receiving karate training under Kevin for just over a year, in Bushido Hombu's 'family' class. In addition to this Chris (dad) and Emily (daughter) have participated in other classes and seminars ouside of the 'family' class. Bushido Hombu is a very professional outfit and is very well organised and run. The focus is always on quality tuition and training, and we have never felt that Kevin is running the school as a business. We have really enjoyed our participation in the club and plan to continue our training under Kevin. 12 months ago none of us would ever have thought that karate would offer us so much - physical fitness; strength training; increased balance and flexibility; self discipline and meeting some really fantastic people. The classes are also very inclusive and eveyone's training needs are taken into consideration. We would have no hesitation in recommending Kevin, his associated instructors or Bushido Hombu as a whole.Chris B
- Kevin Archibald is a rare and exceptional instructor; his martial arts knowledge and competence are phenomenal and he produces students of the highest calibre. Throughout my time training with Kevin, I have been supported far beyond what I would expect of any ordinary club, being given the opportunity to excel through the instructor training program. Having been given, through this program, an insight into the administration and running of the club, I can attest that Kevin scrupulously ensures the safety of every student whether it be by continuously ensuring instructors are up to date on first aid qualifications, or through the creation of the child protection policy. As for the in-class experience, lessons are engaging, fun and, most importantly, different. Kevin does not prescribe to the endless repetition of traditional techniques that many associate with karate but instead finds new and inventive ways to teach the syllabus. The results are students who have a better understanding and physical ability than those trained elsewhere, but who have thoroughly enjoyed the process of getting there. This is the direction karate needs to go in - something the rest of the karate community is starting to realise - though Kevin has already been saying for nearly 20 years.Richard T-N
- Kevin provides Karate instruction suited to his pupils, providing a positive learning environment and without restricting the class to dogma. Kevin sets a high standard and applies these fairly. He always offers helpful advice and real opportunities to learn by attending extra classes and seminars for example. Kevin leads by example, raising the level of his students appropriately.Stephen P