Chief Instructor – Kevin began training in Karate aged five. Having suffered with severe asthma from birth with regular time off school and having low confidence, Kevin’s parents took the advice of a good friend and took him along to the local class. As he trained his health, confidence and physique all improved, which his family put down to the body conditioning from the Karate training.
By the age of 13, the symptoms of Kevin’s asthma had all but disappeared and he was ready to take his first dan black belt. This was taken along-side adults in front of the examination panel of Bukonkai Karate International, Kevin passed on his first attempt. As Kevin’s experience grew, he attended many courses and tournaments and began supporting his instructor in the running of the club and teaching the juniors.
When Kevin’s instructor sadly ceased his karate training to pursue other interests, Kevin (aged 18) took over the remaining students and began his teaching career. Soon afterwards, Bushido joined the JKA (UK) where Kevin retook his Shodan grading to achieve JKA recognition.
Since leaving the JKA in 2000 (just before the big split within Japanese Shotokan), Kevin has had mixed training under several Multi Martial Art Associations. This has enabled him to begin mixing training styles and assess what techniques, stances and styles best fit his students on an individual basis. It was in this period that the Bushido Fitness and Self-defence system came into being. BFS is and always will be a work-in-progress as it is ever developing with every new student that comes along.
As of December 2013 Kevin has also been made an Honoury Member of ICCS Krav Maga, others with this honour include the founder of Israeli Krav (Moshe Katz) and the Founder of the First Response Counter Terrorism Teams. Kevin was also certified as a Level 1 ICCS Assistant Instructor in April 2014, which enables him to officially teach Krav Maga in the UK.
Kevin is working closely with Pilates/Yoga instructors, Krav Maga instructors and other Karate Sensei to get the most from martial arts; always looking to perfect the art of Karate and develop interesting, fun and effective training for BFS. He is passionate about martial arts and fitness and is intent upon increasing public safety through his teaching.
Kevin is a fully insured and DBS (the new CRB) checked CoachMark registered instructor who teaches because he believes it is his duty to pass on what he has learned. The club is here to help people and not to make money, we are a group of friends from the youngest 5 year old white belts to the oldest 66 year olds and black belts.
- Kevin is a highly dedicated Sensei who strives to deliver the best and safest training in all his classes. His approach is to help every person who trains to achieve their goals and instil a confidence in them to be the best they can be. Throughout all the levels from Children's classes to adults, Kevin always held safety in high esteem and with that he imparts the same discipline in all his students. I trained with Kevin for approximately two years and he respected my black belt status which I achieved at a previous club. Through Kevin's extensive knowledge and helpful training he helped me achieve a greater understanding and discipline in my Karate which also has a positive impact upon my life outside of karate.Paul F
- Bushido-Hombu is the ideal club for us as a family with children moving up through primary school. The friendly and professional ethos is spot on and evolving to grow the emphasis on commitment and discipline as the club grows and as we move up the ranks. I find the mix of members ideal, with a good proportion of unfettered youth as well as families with their usual commitments. The introduction of sparring will be interesting and fun, adding that bit of free movement and fun and a few bruises of course! After two and a half years we are very happy with our choice of this club. The challenge is ratcheting up now as we move into the more senior belts....Andreea P
- I have known and trained with Mr. Kevin Archibald for around 5 years. He is a pleasure to know and train with. I find his teaching skills to be of a very high and unique standard. Kevin's knowledge is of extremely high quality and he runs classes to suit ability and convenience for e.g family classes, advanced classes as well as in depth seminars. I train in his advanced class every Monday and I find it to be interesting every session, I always learn something new and find his training environment to be none other than safe. Kevin is very knowledgable and most importantly understand each and every one of his students and he makes time for everyone. In my opinion, Kevin is a great instructor and has become a great friend.Molly W
- I have been a Bushido member for approximately one and a half years and find the club absolutely amazing! Very fresh and functional approach to a traditional Japanese martial art. Highly qualified Instructors who always teach to high standards with amazing enthusiasm. Even with rising amount of members safety is and always was a number one priority. Since joining I have rapidly increased my fitness and learnt much about self defence that is of great use in my job.Martin S
- Kevin provides Karate instruction suited to his pupils, providing a positive learning environment and without restricting the class to dogma. Kevin sets a high standard and applies these fairly. He always offers helpful advice and real opportunities to learn by attending extra classes and seminars for example. Kevin leads by example, raising the level of his students appropriately.Stephen P
- Our family has been receiving karate training under Kevin for just over a year, in Bushido Hombu's 'family' class. In addition to this Chris (dad) and Emily (daughter) have participated in other classes and seminars ouside of the 'family' class. Bushido Hombu is a very professional outfit and is very well organised and run. The focus is always on quality tuition and training, and we have never felt that Kevin is running the school as a business. We have really enjoyed our participation in the club and plan to continue our training under Kevin. 12 months ago none of us would ever have thought that karate would offer us so much - physical fitness; strength training; increased balance and flexibility; self discipline and meeting some really fantastic people. The classes are also very inclusive and eveyone's training needs are taken into consideration. We would have no hesitation in recommending Kevin, his associated instructors or Bushido Hombu as a whole.Chris B